03 May 2010

Pretties we saw on May 1st

I saw a banner advertising that the local park was having a Civil War reenactment, so I took SqueekMoo. Unknown to me was that they were charging $10 a head to see it. So we did not go. Instead we went across the street to the historic fort and had a lovely time seeing things there.

We were drawn first to the cabin in the middle, because these lovely ladies were playing their instruments.
 
Inside the cabin they were doing a lecture on Civil War quilts. I wish I could have gotten to listen to all of it and gotten more pictures to share. Alas SqueekMoo does not share my interest in quilts. I did get two pictures before SqueekMoo decided it was time to leave the cabin. The first is of a quilt using the Ocean Waves pattern.


The next quilt is a crazy quilt. I didn't catch the date, but the presenter thinks it might possibly be on of the first crazy quilt to be made stateside.

 

Outside there were tents set up. The farthest one had the Revolutionary War re-enactors. I chatted with them the most. This is Phil: he is a delightful character, a kindred spirit, an all round really cool guy that we hope to see more of.




I know this gentleman told me his name, but I can't recall it. I'll shall dub him "man in the lovely jacket." He made the entire ensemble by himself, something I think is truly remarkable. I've been wanting to sew colonial period garments for quite some time, however either my skill level wasn't high enough or my waistline wasn't constant. But really I have not mastered button holes and do you see how many buttonholes are on that jacket!?


Now the Man in the Lovely Jacket is talented beyond just sewing. He got a hold of a firearm (sorry weapon terminology is wasted on me, they told me, but I forgot) but the stock was broken. He took it apart and made a new stock for it. The result is just stunning.


At some point, probably quarter till three two ladies in their Civil War dress stopped by. They were on their way to the paid event at the park. It does not help that the park and fort have the same name. I think a small handful made the mistake of going to the fort instead of the park. The two ladies chatted with Phil. Terry and the Man in the Lovely Jacket are standing off to the side. The drum the Man in the Lovely Jacket is also something he made. Okay so once again he didn't start from scratch, but rather a drum with a broken head.


And the last pictures is SqueekMoo have a ball filling up their wood box.

No comments:

Post a Comment