02 May 2010

Completed Jacket and Kilt

Yesterday I worked diligently on the jacket and coat. I finished sewing in the pleats of the kilt.



I then sewed the waistband on. The edge furthest from the interfacing was sewn right-side together to the kilt.



I then marked where I wanted the button holes. And went to work on the jacket.

The jacket did not like me at all yesterday. I accidently cut the backside a little to wide of the main fabric, and fought it all day. In the end after Squeekmoo had gone to bed, I re-cut the plaid.

Everything then went smoothly from there. Especially once you remember the order to sew one's seams:

I sewed the sleeve cuffs, bottom edge and front edge/collar of the lining to its matching plaid (If you want a ribbon tie, don't forget to pin in place before you sew the front edge/collar). I then flipped the jacket inside out and top stitched the edges I just sewed. I then lining sides together sewed underarm seam, clip the curve, flipped inside out again. Now with right sides together I sewed the underarm seam again. And Voila the jacket is complete with lovely French seams.



We hit a time crunch. I went ahead and sewed the Velcro into place. Fuzzy side went on the front skirt apron, and hooks on the inner skirt apron. I didn't have time to put in the elastic, but since I plan to I did a very quick basting of the waistband so that I could undo it when I had more time and set the elastic. SqueekMoo liked his jacket, but was so unhappy when I put the kilt on him.


 Instead I let him wear his jeans with the coat and the kilt stayed at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment