30 April 2010

Kilt and Jacket Progress

I undid all of last nights efforts. I forgot that I needed to work on the hem before I can pleat. I started by serging the bottom edge. I then folded the edge up by half an inch and ironed it in place.


I then made another fold three inches up. Pined and Ironed in place


I then sewed the hem in place. Using white thread I followed one of the white lines making sure I caught the smaller fold. One small glitch was that I sewed on the wrong side of the fabric, instead of the right side. Therefore my seam line is a bit more visible on the front than I would have hoped. But unless you stare right at it one would never know. I then measured up from the hem how long I wanted the kilt to be, and cut off the excess fabric.

I then started work on the waistband. Using the excess fabric I just cut I cut a strip 3 inches by length of fabric. I pressed each long edge up half an inch and also ironed down the middle. I then ironed a piece 1" wide fusible interfacing along one side:

Back to the kilt. I re-pined all my pleats.



Once pleated I folded the front skirts over to check how it laid. Perfect.



I then started sewing the pleats in place. Using black thread I sewed as close to the pleats edge as possible for about three inches and then reveres stitch for half and inch. I got about half way through with the pleats when I had to stop and tend to other things.

After I got SqueekMoo to bed I started drafting the pattern for the Jacket. I used the Kimono block from Winiefred Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting for Children's Wear and Babywear along with the sacque pattern from A Day In 1862 as starting points. With the help of one of SqueekMoo jackets I think the pattern I created might fit him. We'll give it a test run tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment