06 May 2010

One step back and two steps forward

I'm not sure how it happened but the top piece of my iPad pocket and the bottom piece ended up not being the same width. I decided to re-cut the bottom piece since its far less complicated than than the top piece.

Trial and error kicked in when I was sewing in the label. I tried making a label using some transfer paper I had on hand. Took me a while to figure out how to mirror the text only to find out when I set the printer to transfer paper it automatically flips the text. Oh the time I could have saved it I had known that. Luckily I only printed a small test so the sheet wasn't wasted.

I highly recommend if you do go the transfer sheet method and are first starting out do print in small sections so that you don't waste an entire sheet. Its economical if done right, however its mistakes care rather costly.

Second thing I encounter was I do not like the texture the transfer paper leaves. I had lovely double satin ribbon and the laminated feeling is not a happy one.

Third issue was when i went to put in my label I realized not only did it need to be printed mirrored but also needed to be upside down. It's a small cosmetic glitch not big enough for me to go and print another label. the label points in what I'd consider the wrong direction. Being that you can still see and read it when the pocket is face up its close enough for me.

Cutting the iron on adhesive went smoothly. I used heat and bond ultra. Took a little bit to figure out how much to cut out of the middle, but I think I guesstimated right. I took apart a diaper box to make myself a iPad text dummy to make sure the fit would be snug but not tedious. Ironing went well. I highly recommend using a pressing sheet. Don't think the vinyl likes heat too much.


The adhesive should be strong enough to last awhile without fear of it coming off. However he's planing on a road trip up here this summer so I'll sew it down at that point. But I honestly think it should adhere just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment