13 May 2010

unproductive musing

I've got a bee in my bonnet. I've slacked off on my sacque sewing. I should be done with thing two, but its sitting in its frame feeling unloved.

Instead I've been musing about my next BIG sewing project. I have a good many things lined up before I can work on it, but at the same time I haven't a clue what I'm going to do.

At first I was musing about making the maternity corset I thought about making when I was pregnant with Matthew but didn't get around to. Past Pattern's pattern number 705 is a gestational corset pattern. Fig Lead Pattern c. 1857 would be a nice match to it. However after some research the gestational corset proves to be fiddly. The pattern itself is fine however fine tuning it can be time consuming. Also making pregnancy may prove unproductive since you'd have to guess you tummy.  Since I'd want something that supported the belly, I might hope off till after I'm pregnant... that or if I ever get around to interpreting the measurements I took when i was pregnant.

The other option is to go ahead with an 18th century ensemble. I could make some key garments and tweak them so I could wear them when I'm pregnant again. I do plan on becoming pregnant again, just coping with Matthew's death may delay it. But we planed on having as big of a family as we can afford and we miss Matthew greatly, but we aren't going to have his passing prevent a nice big family.

This afternoon when I was looking through all the reference books I had, (I spent all day yesterday looking for ideas on-line), I went a little further in one of my books than I planed. I ended up at the starts of the Regency period and came across an outfit that I thought looked lovely. I'm not sure about the entire ensemble, but the jacket would be fun. It's a thigh length half robe with nice long sleeves. Has lots of potential for a big belly. The reason why I'm reluctant to make the entire ensemble is if I do make it for maternity wear I'd need to accommodate the fact that the chest gets larger. In order to make the right changes the boned bodice would be nixed. Also I'm short: a long skirt and a long jacket would make me look shorter and flumpy.

So many ideas running rampant in my mind. I need to work on the sacque tomorrow and keep myself out of trouble. Or perhaps clean the house some that would be useful. Spending the afternoon on-line, not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment