01 April 2010

What I've been working on

Friday is my postpartum visit. It means that its been more or less six weeks from when Matthew was born.

But I've been busy. The first few days were spent just as a family. If we didn't cherish SqueekMoo before all this, we honest to goodness adore him. He can get away with just about anything and hearts have a hard time disciplining him. (Oh we have discipline him, but there is always a hug and kiss afterwords.)

We then spent two weeks with family. MacMac and I were high school sweethearts and currently all our family is localized in a city very very far from here. The first few days of the trip were sober but after the memorial service things went back to "normal."

When we returned home I started feeding my mind. I taught myself to smock. Through the Smocking Guild (SAGA) website I found gowns for stillborns. It wasn't what I planned but I needed a new project to keep me sane and it did seem fitting. I used Marie Grace Designs' wonderful tutorial on how to pleat without a pleater. I'm nutty and could tolerate it, however if you plan to do a fair amount of pleating you should definitely invest in a pleater.

And so when I go in for my appointment I'll be giving my midwife a few items to take up to the labor and delivery floor for future mommies and daddies of stillborns to hopefully be comforted by.

I complete five gowns and thirteen blankets. For a reference in scale the hooded blanket is 12 inches square.

No comments:

Post a Comment